Economic Development VISTA
Title: Disaster Resiliency Coordinator
Project Period: 11/06/2017 – 11/05/2018
Sponsoring Organizations: Northwest Arkansas Economic Development District (NWAEDD) and the U.S. Economic Development Administration.
Location: Harrison, AR
Goal of the Project:
This project will focus on the counties of Boone, Madison, Marion, Newton, and Searcy located within the boundaries of the NWAEDD. The VISTA will work with communities to identify ways to prepare for future natural disasters through mitigation planning. The overall goal is to build capacity in rural, economically distressed communities by ensuring those communities have identified potential hazards and have prepared for them through the development of an organized mitigation/disaster resiliency plan.
VISTA’s will work directly with community leaders to gather in-depth information needed to develop disaster resiliency plans. Over the course of the service, the VISTA will collaborate with the community to identify hazards, recommend mitigation efforts that will make the community more resilient in the face of those hazards, prioritize mitigation projects, and identify potential funding sources to aid in completing those projects. The disaster resiliency & economic development capacity built by the VISTA will provide the communities the tools to build job opportunities for community members and improve quality of life.
- Associate’s degree or be currently enrolled in college and working towards a degree.
- VISTA member will be reimbursed for travel, but must provide own vehicle for travel.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Excellent Research/Organizational skills
- Good Communication Skill
- 40 hours a week commitment
- The position provides a small living stipend.
- The volunteer position includes health care, childcare, training, relocation expenses, and liability insurance.
- Education Stipend – After a successful year of service, VISTAs can choose to receive either a $1,500 stipend or a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award equal to the maximum amount of the federal Pell Grant (the current amount of the Pell Grant is $5,775).
- Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) Status – Once a VISTA successfully completes service that VISTA will receive one year of non-competitive eligibility for employment in the federal government. This special hiring status enables the former VISTA to apply for federal jobs with the advantage of not having to go through the standard public competitive selection process. That means that you can be appointed to federal positions that may or may not be available to the public. NCE does not guarantee a federal job, but it does provide a valuable opportunity!
Please email resumes to Jeremy Ragland at firstname.lastname@example.org